Tobacco users pay about double what non-smokers pay in life insurance premiums. But what makes you a smoker?
- Any cigarette use at in the last 12 months means the highest smoker premiums
- Any vaping in the past 12 months means the highest smoker rate
- Chewing tobacco: some companies i.e. Manulife, give tobacco chewers a rate between smoker and non-smoker
- Any nicotine substitutes (i.e. gum or the patch) in the past 12 months for most but not all companies
- Some companies will allow a small number, like less than per month of large cigars and still allow non-smoker rates